Tuesday 28 May 2013

Eastern Road Trip May 2013

May 15 Toronto Islands
The first day of the Ontario 2013 roadtrip was spent at the Toronto Islands working off a little jetlag. Cliff Swallows filled the air, Long-tailed Ducks dived for molluscs and snails, Ring-billed Gulls milled around, Baltimore Orioles whistled from popular trees, Chipping Sparrows, Ravens and House Sparrows rounded off the list. A pleasant way to unwind after a long flight.
Baltimore Oriole (Icterus galbula)

May 16th Toronto Harrow, Essex county Ontario.
The Kingsville Harrow area is coined the 'Tomato Capital of Canada'  Forty-seven kms east of Windsor, the once heavily wooded area is part of the Carolinian Zone that includes some of Canada's most endangered and rarerst species of flora and fauna. Point Pelee, Hillman Marsh, Rondeau are some of the other remnants.
I'm staying with the Braithwaite family, who before I have even unloaded my car are showing me around their garden and woodlot. There are Wood ducks in the their pond, Eastern Bluebird and Tree Swallow boxes with freshly laid eggs. Next morning the dawn chorus of Catbirds, American Robins, Blue Jays, Rose-Breasted Grosbeaks and Chipping Sparrows made sure I was up bright and early and ready for my Point Pelee initiation!

Rose-breasted Grosbeak (pheucticus ludovicianus)


2 comments:

  1. John, wonderful shots!
    I'm sure you will enjoy Point Pelee. My wife is from Windsor and I've been there a few times! Was always very taken with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks we also had a great time with you the Braithwaite's

    ReplyDelete