Thursday 5 September 2013

Back to the World of Birds

Sept 5 2013 Boundary Bay, Delta, British Columbia.
The past six weeks has just flown by since my last blog. What with my annual U.K family visit to help out my brother with his festival stall at the Cropredy Festival near Banbury, Oxford (festival headliners were Fairport Convention, Alice Cooper and 10cc) and visiting my wonderful parents in the picturesque Wye Valley.  As you can imagine little birding was done, I did however walk the Malvern Hills for an hour or so where I spotted Buzzards, wrens and a type of grouse and some LBJ's.
Although I returned to Canada almost two weeks ago the imminent wedding of our oldest daughter had me helping the wife 'pretty up' the house and garden for visitors. New paint, wainscotting in the living room, new countertops and new bathroom meant the birdwatching had to take back seat. I did however manage to get out to lead a two day photography workshop which I took photographers to Boundary Bay. Apart from that it was the nose to grindstone. What did I miss? A rare Buff-breasted Sandpiper and an elusive vagrant Red-necked Stint. Although I would have loved to have added them to my B.C. and Canada list I may not have found them anyway so I'm not loosing too much sleep over it as one never knows what tomorrow may bring.
Finally with the DIY mostly finished I made my way down to 96th to find the Buff-breasted Sandpiper. After looking for some five hours, myself and numerous others headed home without even a flyby. So slow was the action most of the time we spent trying to identify first year gulls. Where's Mike Tabac when you need him!
Anyway I went again September 4 to have one last look for the Buff-breasted and although I didn't see it I got back into shooting mode with the following pix. I hope to see many of you out there, Enjoy!

Black-bellied Plover (Pluvialis squatarola)

Greater Yellowlegs (Tringa melanoleuca)

Lesser Yellowlegs (Tringa flavipes)

Long Billed Dowitcher (Limnodromus scolopaceus)
Note: The bird has only one leg but otherwiseappeared to be in good health.

Pectoral Sandpiper (Calidris melanotos)


This Western Sandpiper (Calidris mauri) showed no fear of humans as it walked along the dyke pathway.
 Ring-billed Gull (Larus delawarenis)
Practising flight shots with common birds is a great way to prepare yourself for that time when the unusual turns up.


1 comment:

  1. John, Excellent shots! I do like the shorebirds!
    Welcome back! Glad to see you again!

    ReplyDelete