Tuesday 16 December 2014

Tamron/Sigma 150mm-600mm Reviews


As some of you may know I have been using the Tamron 150mm-600mm for about six months. I am often asked how it performs. I have had some great results with the lens especially on long walks or when shooting out of the car window.
I have just one issue, occasionally the lens refuses to focus. I have spoken to a number of other photographers and they say the same thing. My solution is to just turn off the camera, uncouple the lens and start again. It has occured twice in six months. It hasn't caused me to lose any shots yet but it is a little discerning. I try to keep all the electrical contacts clean both on the lens and camera and hopefully the problem will vanish.


Merlin shot from 30 metres away and handheld. 

I love the lens for its compactness compared to my larger lenses, I plan to use it when I travel. Remember when handholding try to keep the lens length close to the shutter speed. For example if you are using it at 500mm then the recommended shutter speed should be at least 1/500sec. The VR function works really well so use that when needed. Remember it is harder to handhold the Tamron compared to a 300 F2.8 with a 2x or even 500mm F4 purely because of the weight factor, the heavy lens gives better balance and more stabilty.
Below I have included a link to some other reviews as well as one for the new Sigma 150mm-600mm a lens I haven't tested.
Here is a pic of a Western Tanager from a walk I took as part in with a group of birders from Langley. I wouldn't have been able to keep up with them and grabbed this shot had I had a big tripod and heavy 500mm F4 lens to carry over my shoulder. In terms of great pictures and sheer enjoyment the investment has already paid off. Try out both lenses and make your own decision, we really are spoilt for choice these days!

Enjoy!
Western Tanager Tamron handheld 150mm-600mm at 600mm




http://www.kruger-2-kalahari.com/tamron-150-600mm-lens-review.html



http://www.kruger-2-kalahari.com/tamron-vs-sigma-150-600.html



http://thecanadianwarbler.blogspot.ca/2014/05/tamron-150-600-nikon-test-run.html

"It's never too late to start birding"

John Gordon
Langley/Cloverdale

No comments:

Post a Comment