Thursday 11 June 2015

Carlton Place 'Little Big Year" Part 15

June 2 2015 Carleton Place Ottawa Sunny 17/7c

Today I birded with BirdingPal Iain Wilkes. Iain birds by ear and has used that skill to make numerous important surveys in the Ottawa area. He has also birded around the globe so it was with great anticipation I met him at this home at 6 a.m. to bird the local parks, roadside and ponds.
I must have been half asleep when Iain stopped the car and pointed to a Bobolink singing on a fencepost. He reversed the car and as I fumbled with my camera the songster  just sat there, singing  its heart out hoping to attract a mate. I used the D7000 and Tamron 150mm-600mm.
Bobolink
We continued along less travelled roads until Iain stopped the car by a non-descript section of road. He had heard a Field Sparrow there previously and was hoping to show it to me. At first phissing did nothing, Iain pointed out an Eastern Towhee, another lifer for the trip. I thought towhee's would be everywhere, but as yet it is my first sighting.
Finally after a little enticement and with a recorded call, the Field Sparrow popped out of the brush to see what all the fuss was about and yet another lifer. Two lifers in ten minutes, you gotta love Birding pals!
Field Sparrow

As soon as we began our six hour birding session was over and we parted good friends. Hopefully there will be time for us to bird again on my return trip. Thanks Iain.

For more about Birdingpals go to birdingpal.org
Alder Flycatcher


I spent the rest of the day in the Ottawa area and photographed an Alder Flycatcher. It was time to leave the capital not before a wee nap. Unfortunately and probably because of birding fatigue I had left my headlights on when I fell asleep and the battery was dead. CAA came my rescue in five minutes and soon I was on the road to New Brunswick, skipping Quebec as I intend to bird the Gaspe Peninsula on my return journey. 

   I am slowly catching up with my blogging but just when I try to catch up I fall behind, C'est la vie!


"It's never too late to start birding"
John Gordon
Langley/Cloverdale
BC Canada

No comments:

Post a Comment